Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Night Terrors

So today I sort of came to realize something. My body is physically very still, sore, and sluggish. My eye sight is blurry and I'm constantly seeing things out of the corner of my eye that aren't there. Plus I'm feeling really groggy and tired all the time and just generally out of it. Well today on TV was the Star Trek: TNG episode titled "Night Terrors". In it the Enterprise in stranded in space and all of the crew start to have paranoid delusions and hallucinations because they aren't getting any REM sleep. Well I think that's starting to happen to me.

As you can tell from my last post I am seeing things from time to time, and in some cases not seeing things. I often see movement out of the corner of my eyes and I look over to see nothing there. I'll usually test it several more times to make sure nothing is in fact there by waiting to see if it happens again. It usually does and I've often tested to make sure nothing is there over a dozen times because I keep seeing something move.

I think the problem might be my new sleep schedule where I have 8 hours of sleep broken up into two chunks throughout the day. I have a nap from 2 to 5 hours when I get home and then I make up the remaining 8 hours that night. I've noticed that when I wake up I jolt awake suddenly and always in the middle of a dream. I don't usually remember my dreams so that fact that I'm waking up in the middle of them seems a bit unusual. I suspect that I'm waking up right in the middle of my deep REM sleep. So naturally my body is hating me.

Anyway I think all my paranoia with regards to seeing things and feeling dopey is related to this drastic change in my sleeping patterns. I thought I was doing okay with this type of work shift but I think I might be in for a rough ride this week.

Eyes in the dark. One moon circles.

No comments: